Mold growing on walls not only gives unpleasant sight but could also mean a bigger problem in your home. Once it infested your walls, mold could spread to other areas as well. And if not treated immediately, it could damage your home and be a health hazard not only to you but also to your family.
Good thing is that there are various ways on how to get rid of mold on walls and keep your home healthy and safe.
What is mold?
Mold belongs to kingdom Fungi. A living organism that is usually slimy and has a black or green appearance but also has other colors. Molds produce spores and if ignored, they can release toxins into the air. Moreover, they may have a negative effect on your health which is why it is necessary for us to know how to get rid of mold on walls.
What are the causes and signs of mold on walls?
Molds love moisture and are often a result of condensation or water damage. Plus with organic materials to feed on, mold will begin to grow on the surface such as the wall. Bathroom and laundry rooms are areas where black mold is common due to high humidity. If you don’t have any idea on how to get rid of mold on walls right away, it can spread rapidly and produce mold spores in a few days.
If mold has infested your walls, you may see some spots, dots, or specks that can be black, green, orange, or even brown. Due to leaks and condensation, you may notice any discoloration, warped or bulging walls, and cracked or peeling paint. Furthermore, one common sign of mold is a musty, damp smell that may spread throughout your home.
How to get rid of mold on walls?
Here are a few tips and reminders to get rid of mold on walls. However, completely removing them may require a mold expert.
- Wear protective gear always for your safety. (e.g.mask, nonporous gloves, goggles/glasses, long sleeves/pants)
- Poor ventilation may harm your health especially if you are using a chemical to kill mold so always work in a well-ventilated area.
- Choose any cleaning product of your choice.
- Spray the mold-killing solution on moldy surfaces or areas of the wall and leave for a few minutes.
- Scrub the mold using a stiff-bristle brush
- Wash out or rinse the area with warm water.
- Thoroughly dry with a clean rag/cloth.
- Repeat the process of eliminating mold if necessary.
- Don’t mix bleach with other cleaning agents (e.g.ammonia)
How to Get Rid of Mold on Walls? Choose the Appropriate Product!
There are various products that can remove and kill mold either chemically or naturally. However, some products are toxic to use inside your home. So be cautious and know how to get rid of mold on walls by choosing the most appropriate product to be used. Here are some:
- Vinegar: Pour in a spray bottle and directly spritz on the wall. Leave it for a few hours and then rub the affected area with a brush. You can also prevent mold by having your handy vinegar solution spray on the surfaces anytime and just letting it dry.
- Sodium Bicarbonate: “a.k.a. baking soda” is a good ingredient to remove mold. Just mix baking soda with water and spray on the moldy surface. Leave it to sit then scrub the surface to get rid of all the dirt. Then lastly, wipe it with a damp cloth.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: Use 3% hydrogen peroxide and spray on the affected area. Let it stay for about 10 minutes. Then wipe with a clean, damp cloth to eliminate any remaining mold spores.
- Bleach: You can mix one part bleach with three parts water and spray directly onto the moldy surfaces or areas of the tiled walls. Apply the bleach and leave it for at least 30 minutes. Then scrub using a stiff brush and rinse the cleaner with warm water.
Types of Wall
The technique for removing mold may be slightly different on the type of wall you have in your home. So, it is important that you not only know how to get rid of mold on walls but also know what type of walls you have in order to apply the best solution to the problem.
- Drywall is porous, that’s why mold loves to grow in this kind of material and you can only see the top layer. For this type, try vinegar solution and avoid using bleach inn order to get rid of mold on walls. Usually, if mold is too deep in the layers, it will keep coming back so the only solution is to replace your drywall. Fortunately, an alternative for traditional drywall is now available—the mold-resistant drywall.
- Wallpaper is also commonplace for mold growth because water vapor can be trapped. The best solutions to get rid of mold on walls with wallpaper are white vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, etc. Dip a sponge in a solution of your choice, and wring it out so as not to damage the drywall. Try to test first in an area that is not visible. Then gently rub in circles to get rid of mold and be sure not to soak the wallpaper.
- Cinder Block walls are not exempted to have molds. You need to clean the walls first using a liquid dish detergent and water or bleach solution. Then scrub using a brush to remove mold. For any mold residue, just wipe them away and apply some more solution. Let it sit for up to 20 minutes then dry the wall completely to prevent mold from recurring.
- Brick or concrete is also porous, so to kill the mold, you can use hydrogen peroxide or vinegar. Then scrub gently using a brush.
Prevent Mold Now! Seek Help from Professionals
To get rid of mold on walls completely, you may need help from mold remediation professionals. Especially in circumstances like the following:
- when mold spreads over 10 square feet
- when it grows in areas or places that are hard to reach
- when it has affected household materials that are difficult to clean or cannot be replaced
- when mold problems keep coming back after all your efforts in cleaning
Superior Restoration’s mold removal services will help you totally remove mold and help your home be fresher and safer to live in again. Please call our 24/7 local office today, Water Damage Irvine.