Whether you’re alone at home or with important guests, having a carpet that looks and smells lovely is a must. So, if you happen to sense a musty-smelling carpet, check right away and be sure to do some simple tasks on how to get rid of musty smells from carpet to avoid bigger damage. It may be an indication of mildew infiltration or mold growth above or beneath the carpet surface.
A mildew-smelling carpet makes your dwelling smell disagreeable. It may also contaminate your indoor atmosphere with toxic mold spores. But don’t you worry, removing musty smells out of your carpet isn’t complicated to do. Unless your home has been flooded, leading to significant water damage.
Step-by-step Guide on How to Get Rid of Musty Smells from Carpet
Learn two different procedures to remove musty smells from your carpet.
Get Rid of Musty Smells from Carpet Method #1:
Home-remedy Cleaning Process
- First, ensure the room is dry. A mildew odor is a sign of a water problem, so your carpet must have been damp before it smelled musty. If there’s water damage, make repairs, then dry the site entirely.
- Place a dehumidifier in the room where the affected carpet is, and let it absorb the moisture from both the carpet fibers and the air.
- Once the carpet has dried thoroughly, begin vacuuming it immediately. Opt for a large and powerful vacuum cleaner rather than a small handheld device, as the former is more effective at extracting dirt and dust from the water-damaged carpet.
- For a vinegar solution, mix two cups of warm water with one cup of white vinegar. Transfer the resulting mixture into a spray bottle.
- Apply the solution by spraying it gently onto the carpet. Avoid oversaturation by making sure the carpet fibers won’t absorb much of the vinegar solution. This can help prevent new mold or mildew growth.
- Next, sprinkle an adequate amount of baking soda straightly onto the affected part of your carpet. Baking soda is a well-known odor neutralizer.
- Allow the carpet to completely dry, preferably overnight, before vacuuming the baking soda thoroughly.
Get Rid of Musty Smells from Carpet Method #2:
Using a Foam Carpet Shampoo
- As soon as you detect the musty odor from your carpet, start vacuuming it right away.
- Next, apply an ample amount of foam carpet shampoo onto the affected area and rub it into the carpet with a sponge.
- Let the carpet shampoo sit for about 20 minutes. You can purchase foam carpet shampoo at a local hardware store or a supermarket.
- Finally, allow the carpet to dry, then vacuum it again.
If the unpleasant odor remains, redo the cleaning process using the method of your choice.
Seek Assistance from Superior Restoration for Professional Carpet Cleaning Services
After trying both the above-stated methods and none of them are successful, have your carpet restored by a certified professional company like Superior Restoration.
Our team of experts can remove ground-in dirt and toxic mold spores that could be causing unwanted musty odors in your home, thereby improving the smell and the air quality you breathe.
We are available to help you in emergencies, 24/7. Call us today for further inquiries about our restoration services.